Friday, March 13, 2009

The Fishes thoughts on turning 4

(I wrote this year's ago, almost five years to be exact, and never published it.  Nid wants me to so here you go) 
      Fish woke up the morning of his birthday and came and crawled into bed with us. I don't think he even remembered what day it was. I started singing him the Birthday song and his face lit up. YES!! He remembered it was his birthday. "I'm not 3 any more I'm 4." He was right, He wasn't 3 anymore he was a big 4. He layed with me for a couple more minutes and I sang to him and tickled him a few more times until he had had enough of me. I knew what was waiting out in the kitchen and front room for him and I was excited to hear his reaction as he walked down the hall to discover his party decorations and games. He started chanting "I'm 3, I'm 3" I could hear the pounding of his feet as he jumped up and down and then he stopped, paused for a second and startedup again "no. . .I'm 4, I'm 4, I'm 4" I couldn't help but laugh. He then discovered the "Pin the dinosaur" game with the mask and exclamed "Muffin its a mask for me." His little sister was just as excited as he was. . .you see in her mind it was her birthday too and all of this was for her as well. I got out of bed knowing all the preperation I had left to do. As I was doing my thing the kids were almost too overwhelmed with emotion. Nid knew that his friends would be there for him any second. I had prodded them to get dressed and to please clean their room. Rock was trying to help them along with the toys but he had to leave for work and still make it back in time for the party and final preparations. Nid and Muffin were back in their room doing the best they could. Everytime he heard anything "are my friends here for my party" He kept running up and down the hallway trying to clean toys and still look out the window every chance he got. As Rock returned from work the kids ran to hide, Nid's and Muffin's tradition everytime their Dad returns home. Muffin covered her hands over her face and burried her head in my legs, this was her usual form of hiding, you know I can't see you so you can't see me. Nid has refined it a little more, he just hides in the same place everytime and calls out "I'm here." Rock love this game and the kids get so excited to hide everytime they know Dad is coming home. After this normal ritual and the last minute rush to pickup the guests did arrive. Nid was excited to greet his friends and exclaim "It's my birthday, I'm 4" and Muffin would shout out "I'm 2, my birthday's in August". Whenever anyone would ask Nid how old he was before his birthday he would dutifully hold up 3 fingers but then he would say "but on my birthday I will be 4" again holding up the appropriate amount of fingers.

No comments: